Victoria Hospice's 5-day Palliative Care: Medical Intensive (PCMI) course covers basic and some advanced aspects of palliative care. It provides an excellent foundation in palliative care for:
- Family physicians or new palliative care physicians
- Nurses from palliative care settings, home care, or long-term care facilities
- Family practice residents
- Medical students with an interest in palliative care
- And others with a professional interest in palliative care
Continuing Professional Development credits pending approval by the College of Family Physicians of Canada and the BC Chapter.
The PCMI addresses mostly clinical aspects of palliative care. Psychosocial aspects of palliative care are addressed in our 5-day course, Psychosocial Care of the Dying and Bereaved. Each course can be taken independently.
Registration and waitlist for the November course is now closed, however, registration for the January course in Richmond is now OPEN!
Palliative Care: Medical Intensive Course 2017:
The next course runs January 23 - 27, 2017 in Richmond, BC.
Location: Sheraton Vancouver Airport Hotel
Victoria Hospice Society has negotiated special nightly rates at the hotel. Please contact the hotel for more information. http://www.sheratonvancouverairport.com/
Early Bird Rate
Regular Rate (Nov.16th- Dec.31st)
Late (Jan. 1st- Jan. 20th)
Family Practice Resident/YAC
|Student (Proof of Enrollment Required)||$730.00|
Cancellations, Refunds, and Transfer Policy:
If you need to cancel your registration, please contact Victoria Hospice's Event Coordinator, Brittany Clark. Full refunds, minus a $25 cancellation fee, are available up until 30 days before the course start date. Within 30 days of the course start date, no refunds will be issued.
Course Fees Include:
Your course fees include tuition, the course textbook (see below), digital copies of course handouts, daily continental breakfast, daily morning and afternoon coffee breaks, and lunch on Monday and Friday.
Your registration fee includes a copy of the textbook, Medical Care of the Dying, 4th edition (2006). Students will receive a download link for a PDF copy of the book several weeks before the course start date, and will also receive a hard copy of the text upon arrival at the course. For those looking to expand their library of palliative care resources, Victoria Hospice has additional publications available on our website's online bookstore.
|REGISTER HERE for the PCMI 2017: https://www.eply.com/PalliativeCareMedicalIntensiveSpring20171570612|
For more information, please contact Victoria Hospice Education & Research at 250-370-8283 or by email at [email protected].
- Recognize the diversity of people’s experiences at the end of life and apply a variety of approaches to end of life care.
- Summarize the psychosocial approach in End of Life Care and identify interventions across transitions and diseases.
- Integrate personal and professional experiences and apply knowledge and skills.
- Recognize the complexity of psychosocial care including spiritual, cultural and family considerations and impacts on team and self.
- Articulate the role of self in providing psychosocial care including boundaries, intention and impact on self.
- Participate in a learning opportunity that brings professionals with similar interests and unique perspectives together for shared learning.
- Ethical Aspects of End of Life Care
- Breaking Bad News
- Pain Assessment and Etiology
- Basic and Advanced Pain Management
- Gastrointestinal Issues
- Neurological Issues
- Respiratory Issues
- Using a Palliative Approach in Non-Cancer Illness
- Pediactric Care
- Spiritual Care
- Palliative Sedation
- Care in Rural or Remote Sites
- Care Through Final Days
- Grief and Bereavement
- Palliative Emergencies
- Course textbook (pre-reading for the course) 4th edition Medical Care of the Dying, is included in the registration fee.
- Topic reviews and discussions
- Videos and multimedia presentations
- Large and small group discussions
- Case-based problem solving sessions
The course fees include 5 days of instruction, learning resources, a copy of the text Medical Care of the Dying, 5 breakfasts, 2 lunches, and daily coffee breaks.
- A limited number of student rates are available for students in their 4th year of undergraduate degree or in Master’s or PhD programs.
To apply: please submit proof of study (unofficial transcripts, or other documentation) to
- [email protected]
- Students experiencing excessive financial need may also apply for an additional 15% off their student fees by providing a cover letter explaining their need. These discounts are limited and available on a first-come, first-served basis.
Financial Need Rates: This has been
- We have one discount at 50% off the ‘Regular’ rate for professionals experiencing financial need per session. This will be awarded on a first-come first-serve basis to a qualified applicant.
To apply: please submit a cover letter explaining why you want to take the course and how the discount will help you realize this goal, along with two letters of reference (including one from your current employer/manager/volunteer coordinator). Submit to [email protected]
"I recommend this book highly. It is helpful for people in palliative care, but its clarity and practicality are such that I hope it finds a home on general acute care wards, the offices of primary physicians, and hospital out-patient departments." — Journal of Palliative Care
The Victoria Hospice textbook, Medical Care of the Dying, 4th Edition, is included in the course registration fee for the Palliative Care: Medical Intensive one-week course. You can also order this textbook directly from Victoria Hospice, or read an excerpt from the Neurological chapter on Confusion, Delirium, and Dementia at the end of life.
“I learned a tremendous amount about palliative care and feel privileged to have learned from many brilliant and compassionate people. I will go back to my facility filled with ideas and the confidence to present them to our team and to improve our palliative care program. Thank you, Victoria Hospice.”
“Worth every penny and time it took to get here – thank you all so much”
“Fabulous course – went beyond my expectations”
“Wonderful opportunities to share with colleagues”
“Excellent speakers, knowledgeable and such caring people”
“This course was excellent!! I appreciated and valued every single day, speaker and presentation”
“Best education week for me – EVER!”